COVID began with a shutdown, forcing many to stay home. Many folks in the Hudson Valley and beyond had the time to think about new home improvement projects. This spiked a huge demand for bathroom and kitchen renovations. All of this is great news for us at Affordable Granite & Cabinetry, as we’ve been busy over the last few years.
However, supply chain delays, a trade labor shortage, and the skyrocketing costs of materials have created problems for our industry, and those we serve. With that in mind, we want to provide our customers with good information to prepare for a post-COVID home renovation.
Start your renovation with a realistic plan and budget
As you begin planning your renovation, be honest with yourself about your expectations and your budget. Major increases in wood, fuel, shipping, and other building materials have essentially doubled since pre-COVID. The price of new cabinetry, hardwood flooring, and countertops has continued to increase.
- Because of these cost increases, you may not be able to afford everything you want. This means that you may have to make some compromises out of necessity. Make a list of your “must-haves” and your “nice to have” items.
- You may have to let go of some items on your “wish list” to make room for the essentials. The more information our designers have, the more they will be able to get creative to help you reach your design goals while staying within your budget.
- Note: We cannot forecast future costs, but we can safely say we are seeing 3-5% bumps each month. We promise to keep you informed when we see increases in costs or shipping times.
Be prepared to wait a little longer
Most people are aware of the supply chain issues and the labor shortage. But what many people might not know is just how long those wait times can be. Before COVID, the lead time on a semi-custom cabinet was about 4-8 weeks whereas we are now closer to 10-15 weeks. That’s a big difference!
As you plan your renovation, ask about lead times for different products and brands. There might be some options with shorter lead times.
Sometimes DIY ends up costing you more in the end
Many homeowners try to tackle home renovations on their own, but this could end up being a mistake. DIY projects might seem tempting because of the cost-saving factor. But, if you cannot confidently “do it yourself” then you might be paying someone to re-do it for you later on.
You can learn a lot on YouTube, but some projects really need an expert. Be realistic about your home improvement skills, and think about how hiring a professional might end up saving you time and money. Doing it on your own could mean that you might have to repurchase already delayed materials, or delay your timeline.
Understand that unexpected costs and inconveniences may arise during your project
A remodel means short- to long-term construction. You may lose the use of your kitchen appliances or bathroom facilities. Remember that the renovation will be inconvenient to you and your family, with noise, mess, and workers coming in and out of your home.
When it comes to your kitchen remodel, be sure to plan accordingly. Getting takeout or delivery every day will eat into your budget, so if you can plan your project during grilling weather, you will save yourself a lot of money. Make sure you start the process of shopping well ahead of time; during these post-COVID times, we suggest 20+ weeks.
Some questions to ask yourself while planning your renovation
- What items are essential in my home renovation? What types of flooring, countertops, cabinetry, etc. fit my budget and lifestyle?
- Can my timeline be adjusted?
- Do I need custom cabinets, or will pre-manufactured ones do the trick?
- We wanted hardwood flooring, but now it’s unavailable; will another flooring material work for our home?
Despite some of the challenges in the industry, we are here to help you find the best solutions for your home renovation or building needs. One of our home renovation experts will be able to help you navigate the complexities and challenges of completing your remodeling project.
Hudson Valley Residents Can Count on Affordable Granite & Cabinetry for a Great Home Renovation Experience
There are so many beautiful older homes in Dutchess, Orange, and Ulster counties—but many are outdated. If you bought your Hudson Valley home “as is” but want to remodel it to suit your taste, you are unquestionably ready to renovate. At Affordable Granite & Cabinetry, we offer a wide selection of cabinets, countertops, tiles, and flooring for every room in your house. Our designers will show you styles, colors, and top-quality products to match your style and your budget.
If you are ready for a room or whole-home remodel, visit our showroom at 38 Route 9 in Fishkill or call (845) 564-0500 to arrange a consultation. Our design team will help bring lasting beauty to your home that reflects your style.