You’ve decided to refresh your home and undergo a kitchen remodeling project—exciting stuff! There are many steps to tick off your punch list before you start and all the way through to completion of a kitchen remodel.
First steps – space and use considerations
Work with your kitchen designer to determine the overall new look for the space, and how it will be used. With a full-scale renovation, you’ll be pulling out the existing cabinets and counters and reconfiguring the room.
Questions to ask as you plan include:
- Is it large enough to accommodate an island? If so, will the island be a dry workstation or will it include a prep sink (and the plumbing to go with it).
- Would a peninsula extension work, without cutting off the traffic flow?
- How many people are your home cooks and who are they? This may affect appliance and storage placement.
- What’s missing from the kitchen that you’ve always wanted—and can now include?
- What is the budget? This will inform how extensively you go, materials used for flooring and countertops, as well as new (or reused) appliances. In our experience:
- Cabinetry is typically the largest portion of your renovation expense (up to 25% total).
- New appliances, countertops, and flooring are your next largest expenses.
- Backsplash and hardware are the smallest portion of the project price.
- When do I need this done, or how long will it take? Budgeting for the money and the time needed for the project are both important.
Time to get your plans submitted to your municipality for permits and approvals. The contractor often handles this, but you should be aware of all necessary permits and costs, as well as inspection requirements and timetables from your building department.
Next up, the fun stuff—picking out your new cabinets, flooring, and countertops, backsplash tile, fixtures, lighting, and appliances. At Affordable Granite & Cabinetry, we have cabinetry in many styles and finishes, and countertops in assorted natural stone and engineered stone. For flooring, you may prefer the coolness of porcelain tile or the contemporary look of hardwood and engineered wood floors.
Storage: When planning out your storage, think about pantry space (and having custom cabinetry made for this), and other storage considerations for pots and pans, cutlery and prep tools, and small appliances.
Lighting: You’ll find lots of beautiful lighting options to illuminate work areas and your dining space. Pendant lamps of all kinds are in style right now, but some homeowners prefer the “out of sight” look of recessed lighting.
Major appliances: Is someone in your family an amazing cook? Plan space for an oversized oven and cooktop with special features (and proper gas lines specified). Dishwashers with extra trays or racks are great for large families or those who entertain often, and specialty appliances are available that fit under the counter (bread or plate warmers, wine refrigerators). Some high-end manufacturers offer custom finishes to go with your color scheme.
Demolition and construction . . . and lots of dust and dirt in your home for the duration of the project. Having plastic barriers up in the doorways during sanding and other renovation activities will help keep the volume of sheetrock dust and sawdust down in other spaces but be prepared to sweep, dust, and vacuum a lot with a full-scale kitchen remodel. If you are only replacing countertops or flooring or cabinetry, the disruption and mess should be minor at best.
Have those takeout menus ready, relocate the microwave or portable electric burners for quick reheats, and stock up on disposables until your counters and cabinets are installed, and the plumbing and electrical are hooked up for the sink and refrigerator at least. But most of all, be ready for the anticipation and excitement that a remodeled kitchen—often the heart of the home—will bring to you and your family!
At Affordable Granite & Cabinetry, we offer complete kitchen remodeling services, from planning and design to construction. As a home improvement and remodeling center with two locations (Fishkill and Newburgh), we help homeowners throughout the Hudson Valley with updates for kitchens, bathrooms—any room that needs new flooring, cabinets, or counters. Make an appointment to visit our Fishkill showroom today by calling (845) 284-9854.